Thursday November 29 & Thursday December 6, 2012
Navigating the Art Industry: Professional Practices for Emerging Artists is a unique 3-hour seminar designed specifically for emerging artists preparing to approach the commercial and public art industry. It is ideal for fine artists of any media pursuing careers in the commercial Vancouver art market or those looking to expand their exhibition repertoire.
Presenter Pennylane Shen has taught full courses in Vancouver, New York and Toronto. Navigating the Art Industry is a condensed introductory session, combining theory, industry experience and practical resources for the emerging artist. She currently works at the Bau-Xi Gallery and teaches “Marketing for Fine Artists” at Langara College. In the nonprofit sector, Pennylane manages the figurative artists collective Phantoms in the Front Yard and is on the art selection committee for the annual Art for Life art auction.
- Presentation (portfolio, application letters, CVs, submissions, proposals)
- Approaching the Vancouver market (gallery profiles, current trends and descriptions)
- Alternative exhibition and marketing options (juried exhibitions, non-profit art spaces, group shows)
- Commercial gallery procedures and guidelines (payment, contracts, shipping, framing)
- Promotional Development (publications, websites, press releases, biographies)
- Professional arts practices (pricing, hanging, framing, documentation, editions, reproductions)